Students, faculty, staff, and local community members are strongly encouraged to register online to receive real-time notifications of emergency events.
Text message alerts will only be used in rare cases where ongoing events pose an immediate threat or have a significant impact. Possible scenarios include severe weather conditions, emergency campus closures, crimes in progress that may endanger the community, and major transit interruptions.
Read instructions on how to sign up for emergency notifications for:
Text Message Notification: Columbia and Barnard students
Columbia and Barnard students can easily register for Text Message Notifications. Simply log in to Student Services Online, click on "Text Message Enrollment," and add your cell phone number. Students can register parents or family members by following the instructions for the public below
Text Message Notification: Columbia faculty and staff with access to People at Columbia (PAC)
Columbia faculty and staff with access to People at Columbia (PAC) can register for text message notifications by following the step by step instructions below:
- Log in with your UNI and password at my.columbia.edu.
- Select "Faculty & Staff" at the top of the page.
- Click "View or Update Your Personal Information." (Duo multi-factor authentication required)
- Select "Contact Details."
- Click the "+" under "Phone."
- Select "Campus Alert 1" from the drop-down menu under "Type."
- Enter your mobile number.
- Click "Save."
- To receive emergency notifications on additional mobile phones, you may follow the above instructions for "Campus Alert 2" and "Campus Alert 3," for a total of three.
Keep in mind, only numbers listed under the three "Campus Alert" fields will receive emergency text messages, "Mobile" and "CU Mobile" will not.
Text Message Notification: Community/General Public
- Neighbors/members of the general public
- Family members of Columbia students and staff
- Faculty/staff/students of neighboring institutions (Teachers College, Jewish Theological Seminary, Union Theological Seminary and more)
Non-affiliates interested in receiving emergency alerts from Columbia can sign up by clicking on the “Register” button on the upper right corner of the registration page and entering their name, email, and phone number. To complete the account setup, users will receive a confirmation code on their phone and will need to verify their account via email.
This free service is convenient and confidential. Telephone numbers that have been enrolled in the system will not be retrieved or used by Columbia University for anything other than text messaging during serious emergencies.
Users can opt-out of the Emergency Text Alert System at any time by texting STOP to 226787 or by logging into the system, where they will be able to manage their information.